St. Sophia Cathedral
|Home St. Sophia Cathedral Museum St. Sophia Cathedral Architectural monuments in the grounds of the St. Sophia Cathedral|
ua. ru. en.
Museum ST. SOPHIA CATHEDRAL
Plan of museum
ST. SOPHIA CATHEDRAL
Architecture and murals
- Plan, Ground floor
- other details
Sarcophagus of Yaroslav the Wise
- Plan, First floor
ARCHITECTURAL MONUMENTS OF THE 18TH CENTURY
Cells of the Cathedral Elders
South Entrance Tower
First Rus library
BRANCHES OF THE MUSEUM
The Consistory is situated in the south-west corner of the grounds to the right of the exit from the museum grounds. A one-storey building, built from 1722 to 1730, it was originally meant only for a bakeshop. However, from 1770 to 1783 a second storey was constructed above it, whose premises were to house the consistory or bishop's court for ecclesiastical causes and offences. A large part of the premises was occupied by the archives. In the 19th century it underwent additional reconstruction, the result being the building as we see it today. ' Initial architectural appearance of the building was discovered during the restoration work done in the 1970s-1980s. It is rectangular, with the axis running from north to south. The south wall was later incorporated into a newly-built annex facing Vladimirskaya Street. The entrance projects from the building on the eastern side decorated with rectangular convex stones. The consistory has a deep basement.
Both storeys are topped by multi-stepped cornices. The pilasters along the exterior walls are arranged differently in both storeys: they do not match, vertically.
Original form and decoration of window embrasures set between the pilasters along the facade of the building have carefully been restored. This helps us to determine the value of the consistory in the history of Ukrainian architecture.
Consistory. Eastern view:
Virtual tour around the museum’s grounds of Saint Sophia Cathedral